21 Top Tips for Crochet Beginners
February 03, 2019
- Expect to be turning your wrist a lot.
- Use light colors of yarn
- No textured or fuzzy yarn
- Use yarn that is worsted weight (size 4) or thicker
- Keep your ball of yarn on your non-dominant side
- There is no right way to hold you hook or yarn
- Make yourself some stitch markers - paper clips or bobby pins work great!
- Work near a window or with good lighting
- Get comfortable - with everything you may need (phone, tea, remotes, etc)
- Keep good posture - don’t slump or let your shoulders ride up
- Make a chain until you have a foot of consecutive smooth stitches.
- Start with small projects (Stitch Sampler Cowl - in the round)
- Put the pattern in a page protector so you can make notes as you go along.
- Slide a bobby pin down the edge of the pattern to keep track of where you are
- Try patterns with only one new skill each time
- Try an ergonomic hook - or a Clover if you can
- Cake up your yarn and work from the center
- Find a great place to display your yarn and store your tools
- Note down your hook size for each project - wip cards or price tags
- Have a WIP ready to go - diaper bags work GREAT for hooking on the go!
- Try to hook for a few minutes every day
February 03, 2019by Christa Patel